Mention the word radiation and some people make the assumption that it is always harmful. However, small doses of radiation through x-rays can in fact help to diagnose undetected medical conditions. Modern x-ray machines and CT scanners are perfectly safe.
Envision Medical Imaging provides a variety of CT, Cone beam dental, Nuclear Medicine and general x-rays. We also provide imaging services without the use of radiation through MRI and Ultrasound scans.
In honour of the International Day of Radiology this November, currently in its fifth year – here are five facts about radiation which may surprise you:
- Your levels of radiation will increase if you fly. One flight from New York to London will give the traveller about the same radiation as a chest x-ray. This is because a high altitude offers less atmosphere to shield radiation.
- Bananas are rich in potassium which means they are radio-active but only about one hundredth of one percent so there is no need to be alarmed!
- All the American flags placed on the moon are now white due to radiation from the sun.
- One of the most sought after toys for sale in 1950 was the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab which aimed to educate people about atomic energy and its so-called benefits. The kit contained four types of ore with alpha, beta and gamma sources and came with a Geiger counter and cloud chamber. Sixty-six years ago, it had a hefty price tag of $67 but was taken off the shelves after just a year.
- A fireman’s eyes at the Chernobyl disaster are said to have turned from brown to blue because of the intensity of the radiation he received.