Five Facts About Radiation Which May Surprise YouNovember 29, 2016
Mention the word radiation and some people make the assumption that it is always harmful. However, small doses of radiation through x-rays can in fact help to diagnose undetected medical conditions. Modern x-ray machines and CT scanners are perfectly safe.
Envision Medical Imaging provides a variety of CT, Cone beam dental, Nuclear Medicine and general x-rays. We also provide imaging services without the use of radiation through MRI and Ultrasound scans.
In honour of the International Day of Radiology this November, currently in its fifth year – here are five facts about radiation which may surprise you:
- Your levels of radiation will increase if you fly. One flight from New York to London will give the traveller about the same radiation as a chest x-ray. This is because a high altitude offers less atmosphere to shield radiation.
- Bananas are rich in potassium which means they are radio-active but only about one hundredth of one percent so there is no need to be alarmed!
- All the American flags placed on the moon are now white due to radiation from the sun.
- One of the most sought after toys for sale in 1950 was the Gilbert U-238 Atomic Energy Lab which aimed to educate people about atomic energy and its so-called benefits. The kit contained four types of ore with alpha, beta and gamma sources and came with a Geiger counter and cloud chamber. Sixty-six years ago, it had a hefty price tag of $67 but was taken off the shelves after just a year.
- A fireman’s eyes at the Chernobyl disaster are said to have turned from brown to blue because of the intensity of the radiation he received.